Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Day in the Life of a Global Health Intern

A day in the life of a global health intern isn’t really all that interesting. 7:00: wake up and brush my teeth with bottled water. 7:05: take my malaria pills 7:30: make breakfast. Usually either instant oatmeal or peanut butter on bread 7:50: around this time two people would call a Bolt (uber) and we would be headed to the hospital by 8am. 8:30: arrive at the hospital and shadow! This usually involved sitting and watching and trying not to get in the way. Oh, and asking as many questions as we could when the doctors had a second between tasks. But I mostly wrote my questions down because I didn’t want to bother them too often. Over the course of the four weeks, I wrote down 122 questions. Which averages to about a question an hour. 1:00: go to the kitchen to have lunch that the wonderful kitchen staff would make us. It was usually waakye or fried rice or jollof rice. 2:00: the afternoons were different every day. Sometimes we would go back to the house and sleep, or we would go shopping or go to a museum or park. It kind of depended on how we were feeling that day. 6:00: for dinner we usually ate out or ate leftovers. We went to so many amazing restaurants and had so much good food! 8:00: I tried to be in bed by 8 every night (I know I’m such a nerd) and it worked out the first week, but I didn’t do very well the weeks that followed. At the latest I was usually in bed by 9 or 10.

No comments: